Friday, August 2, 2013

Follow the yellow brick road


Can you remember the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz?


Did you have nightmares like I did?
Man, that witch was nasty!


We visited Storybook Island and Land of Oz park
in Aberdeen, SD last weekend with the granddaughters.
It is a great place to take kids.

They loved it when I told them a knocked-down version of the movie.
We'll see what they think when they see the movie.

Famous childrens author, L. Frank Baum lived in Aberdeen from 1889 to 1891. While in Aberdeen he operated an import shop downtown selling goods to new residents who were experiencing Aberdeen’s boom years. He also started a weekly newspaper called, The Saturday Pioneer and operated it for 18 months. It was full of regional and local news and also took a satirical twist to city politics. After Baum left Aberdeen he headed to Chicago and wrote the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
 It is believed that many of the elements of the story of The Wizard of Oz
 were inspired by happenings in Aberdeen. 

Mr b and I spent a year in Aberdeen, 1971-1972.
He did a year of college there while I went to Stewart's School of Hairstyling.

I wish we could say it inspired us to write a famous book. :(
~b


2 comments:

  1. Follow the yellow brick road. Follow the yellow brick road. Follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road. Such fun! What a classic movie. Was a fun memory with the nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I have ever seen the entire movie. My daughter was terrified of it and I spent time hiding under the blanket with her, missing the movie. I doubt she has seen the whole movie either!

    ReplyDelete