Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Nana's apple cake

Fall is also apple season...
and with all the great rains we received this year
 apples are plentiful.

 
How about this cement bowl?
Thanks Mr. b.
 
I always have a few apples that need to be used up
and today I'm hungry for Nana's apple cake.
It's actually a copycat recipe of
Tastefully Simple's expensive box cake.
 
Nana's Apple Cake
 
cream -
1/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
 
combine dry ingredients and add to above -
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
 
add -
3 c. chopped tart apples
1/4 c walnuts (optional)
 
Grease 8x8 pan. Bake 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes.
Serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
 
This recipe makes a really stiff batter...
 
 
...but that's okay
it bakes up beautiful.
 
 
I like to make my own caramel sauce...
it's so easy
 and I just happen to have a carton of cream nearing it's expiration date.
 
Are you familiar with the saying
"Never trust a skinny cook"
well...
you can trust me!
 
Oh ya...
 
 
it's a wonderful life here today.
~b
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds like more than delicious . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I will take a piece please.......better make that 2!!

    ReplyDelete