Thursday, October 24, 2013

My soup kitchen

It didn't take me long after eating this soup at Olive Garden
to come home and find the recipe and make it.
 
My new favorite soup with gnocchi.
 

Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
1 c chicken breasts, cooked and diced
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 quart half and half
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 c celery, finely diced
 
2 garlic cloves, minced
 1 1/2 c carrots, finely shredded
1 1/2 c onion, finely diced
1 c fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 T extra virgin oil
 1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
freshly grated parmesan cheese - optional
1 pound potato gnocchi - I purchased frozen at WalMart
 
Directions: Sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the butter and olive oil, over medium heat. When the onion becomes translucent, add the flour, and make a roux. Let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding 1 quart of half and half.
Cook gnocchi according to package directions.
Into the roux add in the carrots and chicken. Once the mixture becomes thick add the chicken broth. When the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach and seasonings. Simmer until soup is heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
 
There is a lot of steps involved in the making of this soup...
but you will feel like a chef while making it
and will know you ARE a chef when tasting it.
And I will be adding gnocchi and thyme to all my chicken soup from now on.
~b
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to feel like a chef and give this recipe a try. Thanks for posting it because now I will always know where to find it.

    ReplyDelete