Wednesday, July 17, 2013

to do list

This fabric pile was on my Wednesday to-do list...


Three romantic pillowcases with crocheted edging.

While I have been making pillowcases and
 crocheting around edges for years,
this pattern was new to me.
So... what I thought might be a half day project
turned into almost a full day of interpreting a new pattern.


I picked the vintage piece with the tiny roses on it 
for my experiment.

The pattern called for a light #3 yarn as opposed
to the cotton crochet thread I am used to using.


The most challenging part was sewing a blanket stitch
around the edge using almost 15 yards of yarn on a needle.
When I was finished I discovered I could have used 5 yards less
of the yarn but it's always best to follow the pattern for the first time.
Once I finished with the blanket stitch
the crocheted edge went on quickly.


The pattern also involved sewing a sleeve on the inside 
to hide the pillow. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

But the case turned out very pretty...
don't you think?
The perfect pillowcase for a Jane Austen novel.
~b



2 comments: