Tuesday, February 9, 2016

butter

 
The taste of store bought butter lately has inspired me to make my own.
 
No...I didn't use Mother b's butter churn.
Although Mr. b can recall doing a lot of hand cranking with it as a boy.
 
You can find recipes for butter with detailed instructions online.
This is the one I used...
 
Homemade Butter

Ingredients

  • 1 carrot (optional)
  • 1/4 c. milk (optional)
  • 1 quart heavy cream
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions

  1. (OPTIONAL) Peel and finely grate a carrot. Heat in small saucepan with 1/4 cup milk until milk is bubbly. Use a clean cheesecloth to strain orange-colored milk into the bowl of your stand mixer. Discard shredded carrot.
  2. Pour cream into bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add salt. Cover mixer with a towel–trust me on this one, it will be messy! Turn mixer on high.
  3. Continue mixing, checking on mixture frequently. It will first turn to whipped cream, then begin to get grainy and separate into butter and buttermilk, and the splashing will get much worse. The butter is ready when it sticks in a clump to the paddle.
  4. Place a colander over a bowl, then strain the buttermilk off of the butter.
  5. Using your hands or a spatula, press out excess buttermilk under cold running water until water runs clear. Shape into stick or ball. Butter will keep covered in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Serve with bread and enjoy!
 
Super easy with my Kitchenaid doing all the work for me.
 
I used the buttermilk from my butter to make Ranch dressing.
I could literally drink this dressing, it's that good.
 
 
I made honey butter with half of my butter
 and will use some for herb butter also.
 
 
And this folks...
is what makes me chubby and happy.
 
~b



 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Oh my . . . does that sound good!
    Do you want my cast iron Lodge Pot bread recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Oprah is having this butter on her bread every day?

    ReplyDelete