Wednesday, April 13, 2011

curtain please

Ta Da...
The big reveal on my two-year project!

I obviously didn't know what I was getting myself into
when I started cutting and sewing these strips...

Once I had the strips together and cut into 2-inch squares
I had to go back and sew each seam at an angle to make them curve.


I love all quilts
 but am always drawn to the old-fashioned ones made from scraps,
like our grandmothers made and used.

I used scraps I had and bought a few. I stayed with small prints to keep the old look.
I was thrilled when I got a box of fabrics from my mother-in-law to include in the quilt.
I always smile when I see one of the blues, so similar to a dress my grandmother wore.

 Some days it seemed as if I would never complete this project
in time for my daughters wedding.
When she would come home to visit I would have to tuck it away
and then I was always slow to return to it.


When I couldn't decide on a binding,
my mother suggested using various fabrics
 from the quilt to mix it up. I did and loved it.


I had it machine quilted with a green flannel on the back.

I gave the quilt to daughter knit and pearl at her bridal shower
 last weekend rather than risk losing it to and from
 St. Augustine, Florida where she gets married.
I hope I'm around someday when she hands it over
 to her daughter upon her marriage. b

1 comment:

  1. This was just a fun surprise and I am still telling everyone and cannot wait to hang it up and show it off to all that enter the house!! I will be showing it off online as well, but wanted the maker to get credit. It is GORGEOUS!!! Come on over for a cup of coffee and quilt admiration anytime!!

    ReplyDelete