Friday, April 26, 2024

German Sauerkraut

 ...because there is a lot of German blood in this family.

It all began when I was researching a fermentation crock for the sourdough I am bringing out of hibernation. When I found the crock it was pictured with a vegetable fermentation tamper- cabbage sauerkraut pounder or as Mr. b calls it a husband persuader. The tamper looked like something he would enjoy making in his woodshop. When he brought it in I knew that we would be making sauerkraut for the first time.


2 lbs. cabbage, 1 tablespoon salt, massage for 10 minutes, not gently.
I would like a 10 minute massage, not gently.


Use that husband persuader to tamp down in quart jar.



In a few weeks after this ferments we will be enjoying American reuben sandwiches
 made with German ingredients.

Life is good.

~b




No comments:

Post a Comment