Monday, October 25, 2021

Spurtle



I ran across this kitchen utensil while studying sourdough starters.

The spurtle is a wooden Scottish kitchen tool, dating from the fifteenth century, that is used to stir porridge, soups, stews and broths, The rod-like shape means that porridge can be stirred without congealing and forming lumps, unlike a spoon that would have a dragging effect during stirring, and the low surface area reduces the chances of porridge sticking to the instrument.

It looked like the perfect way to stir my sourdough starter...
and I knew Mr. b would be able to turn one out for me.
He made mine out of oak.
It is 14 inches in length and 1 inch wide at the handle.
It's a beautiful addition to my wooden kitchen utensils.

~b

1 comment:

  1. He is amazing.
    And what a team you are together . . .
    You get an idea . . . he makes it happen.

    ReplyDelete